Minnesota Blues Society 2018 Road To Memphis Announcement
ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE 2018 ROAD TO MEMPHIS CHALLENGE
FOR BLUES MUSIC - SOLO/DUO ACTS AND BANDS
Solo/Duo Competition, Sunday, April 8, 2018, 1 pm
@ Coon Rapids VFW Post #9625
Band Competition, Sunday, April 29, 2018, 1 pm
@ Wilebski's Blues Saloon
The Minnesota Blues Society (MnBS) is pleased to announce an expanded "Road to Memphis Challenge" (RTM) with the intention of sending a solo/duo and a band act to compete in the International Blues Challenge (IBC) in Memphis, January 2019. As most are aware, the RTM has filled very quickly in the past several years. We will be holding the solo/duo and band competition on separate dates at separate venues again this year.
- An act is limited to two consecutive appearances at the "Road To Memphis Challenge" and must then sit out at least one year before being eligible to compete again. Therefore an act under the same name or band members will not be allowed to compete three consecutive years. (This does not prevent an act from applying for Solo/Duo or Band if they have competed in the other category in both of the past two years.)
- An individual may not compete in more than one act in any capacity; therefore, a musician cannot compete in the Band Division and the Solo/Duo Division in the same year.
- Submit an audition "demo" consisting of three (3) songs in mp3, CD (copy of commercial CD is also acceptable) or comparable formats. Electronic demos or links to demos should be send via email to Other demo media should be mailed to: ATTN: RTM, Minnesota Blues Society, P.O. Box 580704, Minneapolis, MN 55458-0704
- Completing the application and paying the fees does not guarantee acceptance for the 2018 "Road To Memphis Challenge". The audition "demos" will be evaluated by the Committee to determine who will compete in the local "RTM" events on April 8, 2018 or April 29, 2018. (Acts not asked to compete will be refunded their fees.)
- You must be a professional musician(s) and the majority of the members of the act must reside in the State of Minnesota to compete. For this purpose, professional musician is defined as a musician who has been booked and paid to play at established music venues.
On Sunday, April 8, 2018 and Sunday, April 29, 2018, the judges intend to select a solo/duo act and the band act our Society will send to the 2019 "International Blues Challenge". If you think you would like to sign-up for the "Road To Memphis Challenge", please fill out the application form and pay the required fees. The following lists qualifications to compete in the "Road To Memphis Challenge":
- Complete the online or mail-in application form.
- Pay the required fees.
- Please see complete "IBC" rules on www.blues.org. Whenever possible, the "RTM" tries to adhere to the "IBC" rules. In cases where they differ, the "RTM" rules will take precedence.
- Eligibility to compete in our Society's Road to Memphis Challenge requires at least one musician from each band/solo duo act be a member of the Minnesota Blues Society. We have membership forms on this website under "Join MnBS." At least one member of each solo/duo or band must be 21 years of age January 30, 2018. It is the intention of MnBS to offer some type of "Youth Showcase" opportunity for those under 21 at that time. A "Youth Showcase" would be a separate event and be announced at a later date.
- We ask that applicants be capable, both physically and financially, of travel to Memphis for the purpose of competing in the "IBC" in January 2019. If you advance at the "IBC", we ask that you are dedicated to representing our Society at "IBC" sponsored functions.
- Each application must include the application fee. The fee is $5.00 for each musician in your act. All application fees will be dedicated to the "Road To Memphis" fund for travel-related costs for those selected to compete in the "IBC". The fee is tax-deductible.
- We require all musical acts to arrive at the beginning of their respective Road to Memphis event either on Sunday, April 8, 2018 or April 29, 2018. Start time is the same for everyone and performance order of play will be randomly selected, and we ask that the musicians support one another.
- Applications must be received (or submitted online) with membership and/or fee enclosed by Wednesday, February 28, 2018, midnight. Acts will be notified by March 15, 2018 if they have or have not been chosen to compete in this year's local "RTM."
- After acceptance, competitors will be asked to provide a brief bio along with a photo prior to the Road To Memphis competition. We will send details once you have completed registration.
- No application will be considered until all fees and "demo" music have been received and they must be received by February 28, 2018, midnight (No exceptions will be made to this rule.)
Our Society does not have funds available to send the acts to the IBC, but will cooperate with you to help raise funds by sponsoring "Road To Memphis" fundraisers. It is the musician's responsibility to set up the fundraiser's gigs and let the Society know the dates and venues for Road To Memphis fundraisers.
Our Mission Statement: The Minnesota Blues Society's mission is to preserve, commemorate, educate, celebrate and promote the past, present and future of Blues music in Minnesota.
Please pass along this information to other musicians who may not be on our email list and let them know they can be on our musicians email list for the asking.